Monday, January 31, 2011

Please, Make Art


            So I’ve just finished reading Seth Godin’s article, “Brainwashed: Seven Ways to Reinvent Yourself.  It was a very interesting article, which I think nearly anyone in any walk of life could benefit from reading, although I think it resonates more with the current generation that is preparing themselves to enter to the workforce. Within Godin’s article he highlights seven layers of reinventing yourself.  I would like to discuss two of these layers, “acknowledging the lizard,” and “make art.”
            Acknowledging the Lizard basically means to acknowledge your own fear of ridicule or failure. Godin describes it wonderfully in stating, “ It’s the part of our brain that worries about safety and dishes out anger. Being laughed at is the lizard brain’s worst nightmare. And so it shuts down our art. “ I personally can remember numerous times when I decided against speaking up or expressing an opinion due to the fear of being laughed at. This is not an uncommon feeling for most people, and it’s something that most people probably encounter on nearly a daily basis.  By acknowledging the lizard, you are better able to understand the source of your fear, and thus better able to ignore it and move past it. 
            The other layer I’d like to discuss is “make art.” When Godin says “art,” he is not simply referring to paintings or poetry or music, but simply anything that involves expressing your own personality and sharing it with others.  What I really like about Godin’s assessment of making art is when he states, “Art feels risky because it is. The risk the artist takes is that you might not like it, might not be touched, and might actually laugh at the effort. And it’s taking these risks that lead us to get rewarded.” Making art is a perfect way to acknowledge the lizard, and then ignore it. By making art, you can become more comfortable with yourself, regardless of what you think other people might think. You don’t need talent or skill to create art, just the ability to not care what others might think, and the self-confidence to be willing to take a risk. 
            Right now, by writing this blog, I am both acknowledging the lizard, and making art. I am expressing my feelings and opinions toward this article in a forum that makes it possible for anyone with an Internet connection to read. Should I care what they think? Should I be afraid to fail?  No, I shouldn’t, because that’s what today’s economy is all about.  If you’re afraid to fail, then you will never take the risks that are necessary to succeed.  This blog, along with other exercises we have done thus far, have allowed me to feel comfortable presenting my art to a forum of people who I don’t know.  Am I interested in what they think? Sure, but regardless of their opinion, I must maintain my artistic output without the fear of being laughed at or failing, because these are the roadblocks which may prevent someone from being who they are truly capable of being.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment